|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Main Page article.|
Viewing other pages
Why do I have to sign in to view anything other than the Main Page (two different IPs): this would make Wikinfo the only generally available wiki which makes this requirement. Jackiespeel 23:31, 8 May 2009 (UTC)
- En:Denial of service attacks. Sorry about that. Still working on solutions. Fred Bauder 01:20, 9 May 2009 (UTC)
Redesign of the Main page?
Redesign of the Main page?
Basic idea here : Editable Main Page
Any comments? Reddi 03:14, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
Will to have to fix IE issues [best viewed in Mozilla]. Reddi 06:10, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
- File:Wikinfo World.png is not our logo and is rather generic. I like that image up in the right top, and it does not have to be a featured image, just interesting, for a time. But thanks for thinking about how to make the main page better. Fred Bauder 14:16, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
Looks nice, Fred's right about the "World" icon, but that's just a minor thing. As for featured articles, I don't think it'll be well maintained (to be read they'll be forgotten there for a year or more). And I'm also afraid the "Categories" topics are not well maintained either... --Anime addict 16:15, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
The idea looks nice though, well done. --Anime addict 16:15, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
I think this could be clearer. Instead of "Alternative or critical perspectives should be placed in linked articles", something like "Alternative or critical perspectives should be placed in articles linked at the top of the page." Similarly, perhaps the actual hatlinks should say something like "For alternative perspectives, see ...". This is after all the whole basis of WI. Peter jackson 09:57, 3 September 2009 (UTC)
- I think Wikinfo itself is the equivalent; opinion pieces are welcome here as regular articles. All Wikipedia has to do is send people here to read or write them. Considering how many links Wikinfo has built in for Wikipedia, it would be nice to see one or two reciprocal ones. George Dance 12:08, 29 May 2011 (EDT)
- Actually kind of sad... We're in the right place but not catching much. Fred Bauder 21:19, 21 April 2011 (EDT)
What happened to the page encoding?
Page encoding used to be UTF-8 so that special characters, other languages could be embedded. Now the special characters are coming up funny. What happened? Should we re-list entries to recover? Melamed 20:00, 26 August 2011 (EDT)
Just tried restoring a page from a copy I kept on my hard drive, restored UTF-8 encoding to the page. What happened? Melamed 20:16, 26 August 2011 (EDT)
- You've been away a while, haven't you? Because of all the technical problems we'd been having, ibiblio agreed to transfer to a new system. It's more reliable, if slower, but unfortunately special characters were corrupted in the course of the changeover & are apparently irrecoverable. They can of course be restored by hand. Fred then got them to provide a new family of sites, with separate ones for different languages as in Wikipedia, but hasn't yet decided what to do with 2 Wikinfos. Any thoughts/queries to VP. Peter jackson 05:11, 27 August 2011 (EDT)
Main Page pic of 9/14/2011
What to my suprise when viewing the Main Page---Was a beautiful picture of a train and Balkan countryside! Wow! What a gorgeous picture. Made my day. Lovely!WHEELER 11:23, 14 September 2011 (EDT)
Can I adapt the 'Wikinfo differs...' paragraph for the London wiki [www.london.wikia.com] main page? Jackiespeel 07:19, 10 November 2011 (EST)
- Yes Fred Bauder 08:59, 10 November 2011 (EST)